viernes, 4 de abril de 2014


Second class, second period

I think that as time goes on, we are getting more and more experiences of what to do inside the classrooms. We are also learning things that we never expected. In this teaching practicum, I had to teach some new vocabulary to the students but let me tell you that I also learned these new words, as well.

The teacher told me to work on a reading and do some activities that were on the book, but first I taught new vocabulary for they to understand better the article. So, before starting doing this I made a warm up in which they had to read some sentences that I pasted outside the classroom, but before doing this they had to choose a representative for writing on the board the sentences that the group is going to transmit.

Then, I gave them some pieces of papers which contain new words about food, and they had to organize them on the board with the respective meaning. They had some problems with getting them. So we did it all together.

After doing this, I divided the board in two parts. In one part I wrote healthy food and in the other part I wrote unhealthy food. Students had to tell me what healthy and unhealthy food they knew.

Then, I came up with the article that I mentioned before. This reading was about food. So I played the audio for students to follow the speaker, and then I asked them to read it all together. Well, after this, I asked some questions according to the reading, and they were answering what I was asking for. It was easy for them because of the vocabulary that I taught.

After doing this I asked them to work on a matching activity related to the vocabulary studied. They did it, and we checked all together if the answers were well done.  Then, they worked on another matching activity in which they have to match the healthy and unhealthy foods that were illustrated on the book.

Then, when we finished working on selecting the healthy and unhealthy food that was illustrated on their books, I asked them to stand up and discuss in couples why they considered those foods selected are healthy or unhealthy. I really liked this activity because I could see that they were very happy discussing their choices and giving their opinions about it.

What I did not like is that when I asked to some students to take out their books for reading, just some of them did it, and the others had it on their desk, but they did not want to open it. So I asked them politely to open the book because we were going to work on this.

As a feedback, the teacher told me to be careful with the auxiliaries because I was asking questions without using them. I did not notice this until she told me; perhaps, I was nervous, and I did not notice.  I think that when you are teaching, you do not notice those details until someone tells you.

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario