First
teaching practicum, second period
I already made my first teaching practicum from this
second period, and I think that this time everything was different. As I promised
to myself, I gave brief explanations, and I tried to make gestures in order to
be understood, and it worked. This is what I really liked from this class that
everything was clear enough, and I could do my job in an excellent way.
Well, my topic was about quantifiers. As a review, I started
my class with a “Hot potatoes activity” in which students have to pass it, and
when I paused the song, the one who got the hot potatoes had to say a sentence
using there is and there are. Then, I divided the board in two parts. In one part I wrote countable nouns, and in
the other part I wrote uncountable nouns. I gave a brief explanation about it.
Then, I gave them a piece of paper with a word on it. In these pieces of paper
I had some countable and uncountable nouns, and what they had to do is to classify
which were countable nouns and which were uncountable nouns.
Unfortunately, they did it well, and I did not have
problems with it. Then, I started to explain the different quantifiers, and how
to use them. What I really liked from
this is that after every example, I asked to different students some sentences,
and they were doing it in an excellent way. I could see that my explanations
about this were good enough, and I did not need to go back and explain again.
When I finished explaining this, I asked questions
using “any”, and they were giving me examples. I did reach my objective in this
class, and this is one of the other things that I really liked. I did my best,
and I got what I expected.
What I really did not like is that when I was teaching
the topic, I asked to one student to give me a sentence using certain
quantifier, and this student did not know how to say “refrigerator”. So the
student said the word in the way she could. She did not do it in the correct
way. So everybody started to laugh, and
what I did is, to tell them that all of them were learning even me and get fun
of their classmates’ mistakes is not a good action. I asked to respect their
classmates’ participation, and pay attention to what others were saying.
In the feedback, the teacher just told me that I did
not tell a definition of what a quantifier is. He suggested me that if I am going
to teach a specific topic, I have to give a definition of it. So this was what
really happened in this classroom, and let me tell you that it was one of my
good experiences that I had had.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario